1. Mexico is a country in the continent of North America.
Mexico is south of the American State of Texas and lies within the continent of North America.
2. The official language of Mexico is Spanish
Spanish is the first language 90% of Mexicans . There are also Mexicans who speak Native American languages, like Nahuatl, Maya, and Zapotec.
3. The Aztecs and Mayans settled in what we now know as Mexico
Before the Europeans came, many Native American cultures existed in Mexico. The earliest were The Olmecs. The Mayans also settled in parts of Mexico and were most powerful between 200 and 900 A.D.
The Toltecs came next and they were succeeded by the Aztecs.
4. Mexico has mountains, rainforests and desert
Mexico is a big country with lots of very different areas. There are high mountains and deep canyons in the middle of the country, you’ll find deserts in the north, and rainforests in the south and east.
5. The National Dish of Mexico is Mole Poblano
Mole poblano is considered to be the national dish of Mexico.
Mole Poblano is a thick, rich red or brown sauce made with chilis, fruit, nuts, seeds and Mexican chocolate. There are many different types of mole made throughout Mexico. Mole poblano hails from Puebla, which is an area of Mexico famous for its delicious food.
Would you try this dish?
6. Day of the Dead is a big celebration in Mexico
Day of the Dead comes from the ancient Aztec custom of celebrating ancestors. The celebration is celebrating on the 1st and 2nd of November.
Day of the Dead is a joyful time that helps families celebrate and remember those who have died.
7. Mexico’s National animal is The Golden Eagle
You can even see it on the Mexican flag eating a snake!
8. Mexico’s Real Name is Not Mexico
Mexico’s real name is the United States of Mexico, or in Spanish it is Estados Unidos Mexicanos. The country is divided into 31 states, plus the Federal District.
Like the United States of America, each state has its own laws and police.
9. Mexican Children don’t get gifts on Christmas Day
Don’t worry though, children do get presents just on the 6th January instead.
10. Mexico is home to the biggest pyramid
You might be surprised to find out the biggest pyramid in the world is in Mexico not Egypt. The pyramid of Cholula in the Mexican Federal State Puebla happens to be the largest pyramid in the world.