Unbelievable facts about “No way! Really?”
- Sunsets only exist because Earth’s atmosphere acts as a prism for light. In scientific terms, it’s called “scattering”.
a) Molecules and particles in the atmosphere (which are more numerous at sunset) scatter short-wavelength violet and blue light away from your eyes, so we can see the other colors on the spectrum, like yellow and orange.
- The most remote place in the world is the Tristan da Cunha islands in the Southern Atlantic Ocean. They’re 2,434km from Saint Helena, the nearest inhabited place. Imagine Mum sends you out for groceries but the local supermarket is closed? That’s a long trip.
- When you do a Google query, 1000 computers are used to find the answer in 0.2 seconds.
- There are almost 5 billion internet users in the world.
- The median age of the world’s population is around 30 years, as of 2019.
- We actually produce enough food to feed everyone on the planet; the problem is distribution.
- In 2010, Google tried to find out how many books there were in the world. They reckon there are about 130,000,000 of them. (Let’s call this one a semi-fact, though, ok?)
- A tiger’s roar can be heard up to two miles away.
- The Earth is 147.2 million kilometers away from the Sun, and it’s about 4.5 billion years old. That’s some serious heritage.
- Owls don’t have eyeballs.